Recent SightingsL.D. sightings seem to be becoming increasingly rare.
It's possible he's either "whimpering out", or been very busy under pseudonyms.
- He may be posting under tentacles to the cypherpunk list. There's constant
speculation on the cypherpunks list whenever something goes wrong that
"Detweiling" was behind it. Moreover, there is consensus that list noise is at
an all time worst level. Maybe L.D. has finally succeeded in destroying the
list signal while evading detection.
- A character on the cypherpunks list named "Vladimir Nuri" has been sighted
mocking TCMay and quoted as saying "hee, hee" on repeated occasions, one of
L.D.'s characteristic mannerisms. Nuri has written several articles appearing
in Risks and Computer Underground Digest.
- A message in Computer Underground Digest reported that L.D. is working on
a counterexample to Turing's Halting Proof, and trying to find a polynomial
time satisfiability algorithm. Either would tend to be time-consuming.
- There's another rumor that L.D. has been writing a book review column for
a computer magazine. The implications of L.D. passing off his opinion on an
important subject to a wide audience is of course rather frightening. (Surely
such places have good screening processes that would eliminate him in early
- Supposedly he had a torrid love affair with a particular female cypherpunk
who still routinely harasses him.
- There's a rumor that L.D. went incognito to a San Francisco cypherpunk
meeting in the summer of 1995, hanging out at a coffee shop in Haight Asbury
and meeting such luminaries he'd ridiculed in the past such as Eric Hughes,
Sandy Sandfort, Douglas Barnes, etc.
- There's a rumor that Eric Hughes and Sandy Sandfort invited L.D. to a San
Francisco party, even offering to pay his plane fare, but then bailed out when
L.D. insisted on a free hour at a cypherpunk meeting to rant to his heart's
content. Another story goes that he didn't want to go when he heard TCMay
wasn't going to be at either the meeting or the party. Another story goes that
L.D. got annoyed when E.H. said, "you can talk about whatever the f*** you
- Another rumor was that L.D. was busy maintaining several thriving web
sites dedicated to conspiracy theories, including the Vince Foster death and
the Oklahoma Bombing, the former the winner of a Web Communications Top 5%
- Based on past history, L.D. may be working on one or more FAQs.
- In some versions of MacPGP, L.D.'s name is cited. Rumor has it he
converted the Disinfectant help dialog code to it. So he may still be hacking
on code these days.
- There's another rumor that L.D. was dinking around with the popular public
domain Linux OS and working on a public domain web/groupware package in Perl.
- There's speculation he may be dead and that he actually haunts this site.
Some people who visit at dark hours have reported witnessing glimpses of
spectral apparitions. On the other hand, these might just be bugs in Netscape.